I was at work thinking back to the days of college life in Rexburg. I worked at Gringo's Mexican Restaurant, waitressed and greeted for over a year there. I remember how the other waitresses use to beg you for your shifts because they were newly married and poor, and barely making ends meet. I use to freely give away my shifts because I didn't really need the money for anything other than food, gas, and fun. My mom payed my rent every single month for the 4 years I was in school. Tuition was paid for and so I was rich in me terms :)
Now, I am the one searching for new ways to make more money. I am able to pay my bills, thats not the problem. But with the wedding on my mind and the combining of mine and Eric's bills, I get stressed. I know all will be okay. For the most part living arrangements are already worked out for once we are married. His parents gift to us will be a new bed. As far as furniture goes we have plenty for the mean time. I just get stressed though. I have never had a credit card and think they are devilish and refuse to use one unless in the case where extreme measures must be taken. Eric has a credit card and likes to use it. So, as a gift we received for Christmas, a Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University starter kit. I am excited to start reading and doing the workbook. Eric has started already and says that its really great.
I guess what this jumble writing is trying to state is that New Beginnings are rocky at first because, especially for two people combining bank accounts and debt, but that I am kinda excited to finally be on our own. I was quite spoiled my whole life and never went without. I guess that what happens when you have two parents both making over six figures a year. But I have always known the meaning of hard work. I might have been spoiled but never lazy. I love the satisfaction of working hard to earn something great that you love and appreciate. I can't wait to do the same with Eric someday. First goal, complete Master programs, get jobs, buy house, then have babies. :)

You guys are so WISE to get started with Dave Ramsey before you get married. We love him and enjoy listening to him in the evenings!
ReplyDeleteSo HAPPY for you!!!
yay for Gringos!!!!
ReplyDelete